Champagne Louis Roederer is one of the last, great, independent and family run champagne houses in operation, having been established in 1776. In 1833, Louis Roederer inherited the house from his uncle, renaming it Champagne Louis Roederer. He took the radical decision to start purchasing vineyards, starting with 15 hectares in 1845, which contrasted sharply with contemporary practices which revolved around buying the majority of the grapes from small growers. This gave him the vital advantage of taking ownership of the grape quality by controlling the vineyard sites, where and which vines to plant according to soil type, when to harvest to maximise quality over yield and of course which farming methods to employ. He started the parcellaire approach – farming and vinifying each plot individually according to its own peculiarities, an approach which is still used today.